Facebook Pixel Code
We use cookies to create the best experience for you. Keep on browsing if you are OK with that, or find out how to manage cookies.

To what extent can agricultural biotechnology can hold the key to sustainable food security in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) Essay Example

Show related essays

To what extent can agricultural biotechnology can hold the key to sustainable food security in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)

Though the media has covered technology extensively in the last few years, this technology that has an extensive history that dates as far back as 6000 B. Progress in technology and science have altered conventional biotechnology methods, like hybridization, mutagenesis and selective breeding, into current ones, like tissue culture and recombinant DNA methods. This makeover has presented an opportunity extra applications in many areas like health care, forestry, industrial processes, the environment, and many others. The existing tendency includes an investigation into GM foods that are nutritionally improved as well as biochips, transgenic animals and protein drugs.Agriculture is among the most widespread biotechnology applications. Biotechnology techniques like recombinant DNA methods along with mutagenesis are employed to build up plants with new traits. The traits comprise pest and herbicides tolerance, resistance to insects and viruses. Biotechnology methods are employed to make bio‐pesticides that are poisonous to pests on target. Furthermore, research into the genetic adjustment of marine organisms like salmon, for such original traits as improved growth, have been done by means of recombinant DNA methods. Raising yield prospective and attractive characteristics in animal and plant products for food has been an objective of agricultural discipline for long remains the objective of biotechnology in agriculture. It can turn out to be a major development driver, food security, natural resource protection and poverty alleviation in the underdeveloped world when done sensibly (Spielman 2007). Increasing public attention in and biotechnology awareness have led to a range of intricate, interconnected policy issues that requires addressing.The Sub‐Saharan Africa (SSA) is among the areas with high food apprehensive around the globe. The obtainable FAO data shows a degenerating situation. Africa’s by and large production capability of food is claimed to be growing at 1.4% even as it has a population growth of almost 2.4% yearly (Kitch, Koch, Sithole-Niang 2002). The progressing decline in the production of food has to be overturned if enormous insecurity of food, scarcity, and societal along with political unsteadiness are to be prevented. Region development along with irrigation are approximated to take 45% of the growth projected even as the rest 55% have to emanate from reinforcement of land production in farming ( Speilman 2007).Most of

Close ✕
Tracy Smith Editor&Proofreader
Expert in: Environmental Studies, Mathematics, Geography
Hire an Editor
Matt Hamilton Writer
Expert in: Environmental Studies, Formal science & Physical science, Logic & Programming
Hire a Writer
preview essay on To what extent can agricultural biotechnology can hold the key to sustainable food security in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)
  • Pages: 12 (3000 words)
  • Document Type: Essay
  • Subject: Environmental Studies
  • Level: Undergraduate
WE CAN HELP TO FIND AN ESSAYDidn't find an essay?

Please type your essay title, choose your document type, enter your email and we send you essay samples