Suppose the tibia moves forward more than normal, then the results are positive and vice versa11. Positive results confirm there is ACL tear.In this test, the examiner tries to push tibia from him with the intention of observing its behavior. Suppose the tibia moves backwards on the femur, the results are positive12. The position of flexion in the test is similar to the ACL examination except the pushing direction of tibia13.Specifically, this examination entails checking the integrity of medial and collateral ligaments14. This is by undertaking valgus as well as varus stresses15. Primarily, this test encompasses establishing two conditions of damages that may be present, which are MCL and LCL16.Entails the ailing to be supine while lying on the examination table flexing hip, knee 450 and 900 respectively21. The examiner normally sits on the ailing person’s foot to stabilize it and shun any unnecessary movements.The initial step entails the ailing person to rest and shun any incidences that will impose pressure on the knee. Hence, shun worsening the state and swelling of the knee, which might prompt the ailing person, take longer than expected to heal. Therefore, resting of the knee ought to be in elevated position coupled with compression with ice but not directly on the skin. To avoid excessive swelling, the knee ought to be bandaged with compression bandage but lightly with caution not to apply much pressure that will result to the augmenting of extra pain on the ailing person.Mainly, this step may persist for 0-1 weeks though it depends on one’s knee severity25. Some of the exercises that may commence towards the end of one week encompass self mobility with crutches coupled with knee full extension when one is sitting as well as lying. Mostly this step entails much assistance especially when doing hamstring extensions26. Proprioception exercises though with caution embrace considerable weight transfer, mini squats, step-ups as well as static quads27. During these exercise, there is need for bracing the knee though with medical practitioner’s directives, which the ailing person ought not to ignore.The stage comprises of advancing the previous step’s activities though with caution based on the patient’s condition. Progressive flexion ought to be 900 and extend 1200 by the end of 4Th week28. Since, pain and swelling have receded though initially one ought to reach 1000
1. Browner BD. Skeletal Trauma: Basic Science, Management, and Reconstruction. 4Th Ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders/Elsevier; 2009: 2170.
2. Cuccurullo S. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Board Review. 2nd Ed. New York: Demos Medical; 2009: 241.
3. Garcia MJ. Noninvasive Cardiovascular Imaging: A Multimodality Approach. Philadelphia: Wollters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010: 578.
4. Kulkarni GS. Textbook of Orthopedics and Trauma. 2nd Ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers; 2008: 2931.
5. Lan Chen., Kim Paul D, Ahmad Christopher S. & Levine William N. Medial collateral ligament injuries of the knee: current treatment concepts. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine 2008; 1(2): 108–113.
6. Marcus DA. Chronic Pain: A Primary Care Guide to Practical Management. New York: Humana Press; 2009:115.
7. Neinstein LS & Lawrence SN. Adolescent Health Care: A Practical Guide. 5Th Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: 2008: 245.
8. Orthopaedic Surgeon Online: ACL Surgery – 4 Detailed Program of Progressive Rehabilitation Exercises. http://www.orthopaedicopiniononline.co.uk/index.php?id=229. Published 2008. Accessed April 2013.
9. Winnick JP. Adapted Physical Education and Sport. 5Th Ed. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2011: 362.
Please type your essay title, choose your document type, enter your email and we send you essay samples