Facebook Pixel Code
We use cookies to create the best experience for you. Keep on browsing if you are OK with that, or find out how to manage cookies.

Discuss the development and the future of offshore wind turbines around EU and the UK Essay Example

Show related essays

Discuss the development and the future of offshore wind turbines around EU and the UK

This is a preview of the 6-page document
Read full text

Accommodating and has allowed the country to continue this journey as it looks for different ways of dealing with its unique position that places it on the greatest advantage against other rival countries (Tillessen, 2010:170). This also shows that the politicians understand the government can save so much in this project and are willing to try it and reduce the cost of operation for companies within the country (Thomsen 2011: 297). This willing nature has also made the UK possess the largest capacity for the electricity generated from these turbines, making it one of the most appropriate means of attaining a growing supply chain capability (Ellabban, Abu-Rub, & Blaabjerg 2014: 750).When looking at the costs incurred when setting up the wind turbines, the upfront costs are only related to the purchase and initial installation of the turbines, electrical equipments, the foundation of the system, and the grid connection amongst other necessary aspects. However, the moment it starts function the costs will only be incurred during maintenance (Schröder & Smith 2008: 158). This is a better deal as the country can make better use of the 75% of the generated benefits, with the rest of the 25% being divided in maintenance and operational costs. The upfront 75% costs are lowered eventually, and that allows the citizens to make better use of their resources while benefiting from lowered electricity costs as well as better environments (Tillessen, 2010:170). This also cushions the users from the fuel price volatility that has made many countries increase their debts as they look for a better and cheaper way out. This allows the citizens to enjoy natural resources (Cartlidge 2011: 922).Some may argue that the best way of reducing the costs of installation is by using the onshore wind turbines rather than the offshore wind turbines (Tavner 2012: 209). This is true because the onshore wind turbines cost less when installing. The main differences in costs emerge in two main areas. The first one is the foundation, which is costlier when dealing with offshore wind turbines as opposed to the onshore wind turbines (Demirbas 2009: S110). The costs of the foundation alone cost close to 5-9% of the expenses. The second avenue is the construction of the transformer stations and sea transmission cables, which increase the costs due to the multiple connections made between the turbines and the transformers, add more costs (Jacobson & Delucchi 2009: 60). However, the

This is a preview of the 6-page document
Open full text


Cartlidge, E. (2011) "Saving for a rainy day", Science, vol. 334, pp. 922–924.

Demirbas, A. (2009) "Political, economic and environmental impacts of biofuels: A review", Applied Energy, vol. 86, pp. S108–S117.

Ellabban, O., Abu-Rub, H. & Blaabjerg, F. (2014) "Renewable energy resources: Current status, future prospects and their enabling technology,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews vol. 39, pp. 748–764.

Jacobson, M.Z. & Delucchi, M.A. (2009) "A Path to Sustainable Energy by 2030", Scientific American, vol. 301 no. 5, pp. 58–65.

Jacobson, M.Z. & Delucchi, M.A. (2011) "Providing all global energy with wind, water, and solar power, Part I: Technologies, energy resources, quantities and areas of infrastructure, and materials", Energy Policy vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 1154-62.

Schröder, K.P. & Smith, R.C. (2008) "Distant future of the Sun and Earth revisited", Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol. 386 no. 1, pp. 155–163.

Tavner, P. (2012) Offshore wind turbines: reliability, availability and maintenance, London, Institution of Engineering and Technology.

Thomsen, K.E. (2011) Offshore wind: a comprehensive guide to successful offshore wind farm installation, London, Elsevier.

Tillessen, T. (2010) "High demand for wind farm installation vessels", Hansa International Maritime Journal, vol. 147, no. 8, pp. 170–171.

Tong, W. (2010) Wind power generation and wind turbine design, Boston, MA, WIT Press.

Close ✕
Tracy Smith Editor&Proofreader
Expert in: Environmental Studies, Chemistry, Logic & Programming
Hire an Editor
Matt Hamilton Writer
Expert in: Environmental Studies, Mathematics, Formal science & Physical science
Hire a Writer
preview essay on Discuss the development and the future of offshore wind turbines around EU and the UK
WE CAN HELP TO FIND AN ESSAYDidn't find an essay?

Please type your essay title, choose your document type, enter your email and we send you essay samples

Contact Us