The collar of the shirt was stiff and had two linen strips of about 5 inches by 1 inch which hung down the front and additionally, he also wore a wig with curls down to the shoulders. The two junior barristers sitting on the prosecution side were similarly robed but their robes were open at the front with a gathered yoke at the neck and open sleeves coming halfway down their arms.
On the defendant’s side, there were three advocates present, although it appeared that only one was a barrister since he similarly wore a wig. The other two appeared to be the solicitors of the defendant since they were dressed in silk robes with flap collars and long closed sleeves and wore no wigs6.
A witness was being interviewed by the Prosecution. He was an expert, a doctor who had been called in to testify to nature and extent of the victim’s injuries that were the result of his examination of her. When I entered the Court, I nodded in the direction of the Judge and quietly took a seat near the entrance. It appeared that the witness’ oath had already been taken because he was seated in the witness box and the Crown prosecutor was already in the position of questioning him, to which the doctor was providing his answers. Kingston upon Thames Crown Court.
* Access to Justice Act 1999
* A guide to the criminal justice system in England and wales.” [online] http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs/cjs2000.pdf at pp 18
* Bankowski, Z.K, Hutton, N.R. and McNamus, J.J., 1987. “Lay Justice” Edinburgh: T& T Clark at pp 20
* Darbyshire, Penny, 1997. “An essay on the importance and neglect of the magistracy” Criminal law review, 627 at pp 628-9
* Martin, J, 2003. “The English Legal System” London” Hodder Arnold.
* “Murder in the U.K.” [Online] Available at:
http://www.murderuk.com/criminology/black.htm; accessed 1/8/07
* R v Fergus 98 Cr App R 313
* Woodcock, Thomas, 2003. “ Legal Habits: a brief sartorial history of wig, robe and gown”. London: Good books Publications Ltd
Please type your essay title, choose your document type, enter your email and we send you essay samples