For instance, nickname “Gidget” is a shortened version of “girl in midgets”. Young people address each other mainly by nicknames. Despite their age and sex, everyone calls Betty Louise B. Sub-culture of Californian youth implies informal communication, a superiority of males above females, flirting and idleness. Steady rituals and ceremonies of surfers’ clubs spread through California. They include specialized parties, songs, music and dress code. Surfers wear T-shirts, Levis jeans, tennis shoes. Often they wear clothes of similar color with special emblems, signs. These features appeal to me because they are associated with aspiration for beauty, high physical and social activity, equitable communication among representatives of different social and ethnic categories. Francie’s friends Moondoggie, the Big Kahuna and other members of the surfing group spend the whole summer on the beach, bathing, listening to the music and having fun. Sea and sand romance does not promote heroes thinking about future; Moondoggie is not going to return to college and the Big Kahuna seems to be satisfied with his present employment, although once he has had bigger ambitions. They are trained surfers and, thus, feel themselves by a head taller than other youngsters.In San Francisco, Mary Ann found herself in a totally different environment. Here life went in accordance with urban laws. California Culture.
1. Augustin, Jean-Pierre. “Emergence of Surfing Resorts on the Aquitaine Littoral.” The Geographical Review 88. 4 (1998): 587 - 590.
2. Einstadter, J. Werner and Sinclair, P. Karen. “Review Essay Lives on the Boundary: Armistead Maupin's Complete Tales of the City.” Journal of the History of Sexuality 1.4 (1991): 682 - 687.
3. Giltz, Michael. “Tales of the Tales.” The Advocate 22 May 2001: 54 - 57.
4. Link, Matthew. “The City and the Writer.” The Advocate 29 Jan. 2008: 30 - 34.
5. Kilmer-Purcell, Josh. “The Stealth Warrior.” Out 15.12 (2007): 52 - 58.
6. Kohner, Frederick. Gidget. New York: Pocket Book, 1995.
7. Maupin, Armistead. Tales of the City. New York: Penguin Books, 2001.
8. Osgerby, Bill. Playboys in Paradise: Masculinity, Youth and Leisure-Style in Modern America. New York: Berg, 2001.
Please type your essay title, choose your document type, enter your email and we send you essay samples