Psychological and social pathologies have now become major problem of public health. Surveys reveal that as many as twenty-five percents of our population is troubled psychologically and are in serious need of medication. The alarming rise in alcoholism, accidents suicides, and violent crimes show social ill health is increasing day by day. The twentieth century is also witnessing the serious health problems in children along with rise in social and political terrorism. These statistics clearly indicate that biomedical model cannot cure most of the diseases of today’s human being. The best estimates are that the biomedical system (doctors. drugs, hospitals) affects about 10 percent of the usual indices for measuring health. (Aaron Wildaysky, Dean, Graduate School of Public Policy, U.C. Berkeley)There has been a great increase in life expectancy in developed countries. People consider the beneficial effects of modern medicine as the main cause for it. But this is not true. This is because health has many dimensions and it arises from the complex interplay between physical, physiological and social aspects of human nature. . Is biomedical model out of date.
1. Engel GL. The Need for a new medical model: a challenge for biomedicine
2. World Health Organization: international classification functioning disability and health. WHO;2001
3. Thinking about patients: David Misselbrook.
4. F. Capra. The Turning Point. Chapter 5
5. Life of living systems : Fritijof Capra
6. Biomedical progress and physician’s approach to patients : Richard D.Chessik
Please type your essay title, choose your document type, enter your email and we send you essay samples